Monday, February 09, 2009

Rhonda's Replacement

It's been a few weeks now since my trusty old Honda station wagons engine roared for the last time. I feel bad that I wasn't behind her wheel when her injectors took in fuel for the last time. She's been such a trusted friend and we've shared many miles of road together.

But because of the fact that my son turned 16 and would need a trusty car to drive, finding a replacement for Rhonda that Honda became a necessity! We looked high and low, both online and along the roads we drive regularly. We "thought" we had found her replacement, but almost ended up getting scammed.

Then on Saturday, our search came to an end thanks to an advertisement online. When my husband first read the ad, he couldn't believe his eyes. He quickly picked up the phone and called the number provided. Sure enough, what he was reading was the truth, and after 45 minutes on the phone, even without seeing it, he told the gentleman on the other end of the line to consider the car sold. He just had to wait for me to finish my shift and work and we would head out, with cash in hand.

What, you ask, did my husband find that could possibly come close to replacing Rhonda the Honda? He found a 1988 Honda Accord Sedan, with only 87,000 actual miles, and virtually no body rust. It's motor and transmission are rock solid, its ball joints and axles don't shimmy and shake, it's brakes don't shudder and it's tires have recently been replaced. I got the honor of driving this car home that day, giving it its first test, seeing exactly how it would handle.

My response? My son is going to have a VERY difficult time prying the steering wheel out of my hands...LOL! We haven't named the new Honda yet, only time will tell if it's a boy or a girl. But I have NO doubt this trusty little car will be with us for many miles!

No comments: