Sunday, June 17, 2007

Fathers Day Reflections

Since I don't have my father around to say Happy Fathers Day to, I thought I'd come in here and remember some of the fun things about Fathers Day from when I was growing up.

One of the most awesome things about Fathers day was the fact that 99.9% of the time we spent it at the lake. My grandparents owned a cottage on a private lake, and we spent many summer weekends there when I was growing up. And since we were farmers, and there usually weren't crops to harvest in June, we tried to always spend Fathers Day weekend at the lake.

Dad loved being at the lake, and since he was part Indian, he always had that beautiful tan. We'd spend hours out on the lake in the boat, sometimes skiing or tubing. But every night, before we put the boat up for the night, we'd go "cruising". By cruising I mean we'd take a slow tour around the lake to see what everyone else was up to. Once in a while we'd make a stop at someone's cottage to chat for a bit, but only if there was enough daylight left to get the boat back to the cottage.

The other great thing about the lake was the ride home. Not that we were glad to leave the lake, but because we always stopped at the ice cream place to get ice cream cones. We were always barefoot and in our bathing suits at the ice cream stand, and so was everyone else!

Thanks for letting me share my Fathers Day memories with you!
**huggles**

No comments: