Monday, December 11, 2006

I just don't understand sometimes

In this day and age, whether we like it or not, we have to respect that each person is allowed to have their own beliefs, whether they are religious, political or anything else. It's simply the way things are and it's one of the things that I like most about living in the USA! I have the right to believe how I want to, you have the right to believe how you want to and the government doesn't tell us otherwise, at least not yet anyway ;-)

But this story bothers me! Why did all of the trees have to be taken down? What was so wrong about the Rabbi wanting the airport to put up a menorah? Why not set up a multi cultural holiday display rather than pull everything down? In my opinion, it makes the airport seem very prejudiced against people who celebrate holidays other than Christmas.

The Rabbi put his request in a few weeks ago, which would have given the airport time to put up displays for other cultures. I do however feel that filing a lawsuit is a bit ridiculous and a waste of court time. Maybe the Rabbi could have requested that next year they consider adding a multi cultural display rather than just a Christmas display? But the airports reaction is nothing more than taking the easy way out:
"The holidays are the busiest season at the airport, Betancourt said, and staff didn't have time to play cultural anthropologists."


**SIGH** I just wish we all could learn to get along and accept each other a little better. I know that I personally spent MANY years fighting everyone and everything around me, which made me a miserable and lonely person. This time of year, more than any other time, brings out the acceptance in me. I look at people and feel compassion and care. I stop and let someone out of the parking lot ahead of me, I hold the door for someone as they're walking in or out of a store, and above all, I try to smile as much as possible.

Anyway, I need to get ready for work. Have a great day!
**huggles**

No comments: