Sunday, August 06, 2006

OHHHHH....the things I do to myself...LOL

You know, it's always the simple things that turn into something major, isn't it? We moved out here a year ago and basically have done nothing but upkeep to the house and hang blinds. Oh yeah, we put in washer/dryer hookups and a water softener too. But other than that, the house is pretty much the same as it was when we moved in, just a little dirtier ;-)

My biggest peeve about this house has always been the kitchen, not that I don't like it, because I do, it's HUGE with tons of cabinets! But it's also VERY dark! It has dark brown carpet, dark brown cabinets and this fake brick panelling on the walls. The only thing light in it are the counters, ceiling and trim work.

Part of the reason it's so dark is that the only light in the room is this ugly industrial type flourescent light. Half the time it doesn't work, the other half it's flickering because the water pump is on.

SOOOOOOO....being the wonderful wife I am, I "convinced" my hubby that we needed to replace that light this weekend....LOL. Off to Menards we went and we found a very nice ceiling fan with a light kit in the price range we had in mind. Being the smart woman that I am I also remembered to pick up lightbulbs for it too ;-) This was last night after school shopping, I agreed with hubby that it was simply too late to take the old light down and put the new one up and that tomorrow (today) would be better.

So he gets up this morning and after coffee he heads to the shop in town because he has to change my brake pads. I've been on him for well over a month, if not two, that they needed changing. He called when he was done and said it was a good thing he changed them because there was less than 1/16th of an inch left on the old pads. NOT a good thing at all.

When he gets home he gets busy taking the butt ugly old light down. When he gets it down he calls me out into the kitchen and points up to the ceiling. I look up and there is a mildly bad stain on the ceiling. I decide that I really want to seal/cover it before we put the new light up, so off I head to Menards again to grab some KILZ and some paint.

I got home, opened the KILZ and sealed the stain. As soon as the KILZ was dry I opened the paint and covered it and stepped back to make sure it looked "OK". It did, but the reality of how bad the ceiling looked kicked in.

YUP, you guessed it. As soon as the new light was up I started painting the ceiling. Once that was done, I stepped back to see how it looked, and it looked good, BUUUUUUUUUUUT.........

Before I finish, just let me say that me and paint aren't a good combination. Not that I'm a bad painter, just that once I start painting, I simply can't stop! SOOOOOOOOOOOO.....once the ceiling was done, I started on that UUUUUUUGLY fake brick panelling.....LMAO!!!! I'd love to be able to say that I'm done, unfortunately I'll be painting tomorrow too...LOL. But I did manage to take a few "before" pics and some "after" ones too. Unfortunately, even going through all of the pics I have on the puter of the house, I don't have a single one that shows the old light. So, without further adieu, here we go.
********OLD PICS********







*******NEW PICS********




Over all I'm VERY happy with how it looks. It still has a very long way to go, but that's ok, I'll work at it little by little. To say the least, my kitchen is NOT too dark anymore....LOL
**huggles**

No comments: