Monday, May 29, 2006

You might be a redneck.....

I'm sure many of you have heard the Jeff Foxworthy sayings starting with "You might be a redneck if......" Well, I think I have one that will be an all time classic!

Let me start with a small story. It's Memorial Day weekend 2006. Our "normal" temps here in NW Ohio for this time of the year are mid 70's. Imagine our surprise when they started forcasting that we could have record high temps in the 90's this weekend. The weather man said that our temps this weekend are typical temps for the 4th of July rather than Memorial Day. So our thought immediately went to two things. First, putting the air conditioners in and second, trying to find a way to keep the kids from whining that they were hot outside. Friday night, while at the grocery, we ran across one of those "Slip and slide" thingies for $15 and thought we had found a cheap and sure fire way to keep them from whining. I mean, what kid doesn't like to play in the water on a hot day?

Sure enough, by mid day Saturday we were in the upper 80's temp wise. So after getting the necessary things done around the house, I headed outside to set up the slip and slide for the kids. Let me tell you, we have a winner! The kids played for hours on that thing Saturday! Even the neighbor kids bypassed swimming and came down to play. AHHHHHHH....success!! LOL

Sunday came around and it was even warmer than Saturday, so shortly after noon, the slip and slide come out and alas, kids having fun playind in the water on a hot day again! Then, "IT" happened. The water spouts appeared to have lost pressure. Hubby went into the basement and checked the water pump, but it seemed to be just fine, so we then started examining the slip and slide for problems. Sadly, it had a MAJOR problem. A hole had appeared on both the upper and lower sides of this "tube" that runs down the middle. It's as if the seam split or something. So, we drained the water from it and hung it on the clothes line to dry in hopes of patching it in the morning! Out came the patch kits this morning, as well as the traditional redneck fix-it-all (DUCT TAPE).

Unfortunately, there was no hope for this slip and slide :o( It simply was too far gone to be fixed. My first reaction was that I was ticked. I mean, granted, it was only $15, but still, it should have been made better. Hubby, on the other hand, has to be the most INGENIOUS man I have ever met in my life!

Ladies and Gentlemen, allow me to introduce THE REDNECK SLIP AND SLIDE!!!!

Look at those happy little faces!!!





So, the moral of this story is, if your slip and slide breaks, just use a garden hose and some duct tape and the kids will never notice the difference!!!

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY EVERYONE! Although I'm posting this last, it is the most important thing, but please remember to thank those who make this day important!

**HUGGLES**

1 comment:

Magikjaz said...

hehehe I love the redmeck slip and slide! Whatever works!!