Monday, November 10, 2008

Minor toe surgery

I know that most of you "follow" me over on my main blog, but since some of you still read here, I thought I'd fill you in on what's been going on with me.

I've known for a few weeks that I was going to have to seek medical attention for an ingrown toenail on my big toe, but I was trying to put it off for as long as possible because missing work right now just isn't a good thing. I had, however, forewarned my managers that once the "holiday rush" was over, that I was going to have to have it taken care of ASAP. The manager that does the work schedules said that was fine and that he'd actually work my schedule so that I'd end up with at least 4 days in a row off to recover from it.

That "plan", however, came to an abrupt halt this weekend. I woke up Saturday morning with fairly severe pain in my big toe. I decided to try soaking it to soften up the nail and let my husband trim it back as it would allow. After the second round of soaking, it became obvious that it had become an emergent situation and I had to have it taken care of ASAP! So off to the ER we went.

I felt like an idiot for going to the ER with something as stupid as an ingrown toenail. But both the nurse and doctor that treated me assured me that going to the ER was justified because of how swollen and red my toe was. According to them, I was on the verge of what could have become a severe infection that could have very well cost me my big toe.

That was almost 48 hours ago. Other than a quick trip to the grocery store yesterday and sleeping at night, I have spent my time kicked back in the recliner, keeping my foot/toe elevated. Yesterday I bumped my toe on the corner of the recliner and it hurt so much that I cried...LOL! I need to take it easy as much as possible today because tomorrow I go back to work and actually have a 9 hour shift, so I'm sure I'm going to be hurting by the time I get home!

No comments: