Monday, January 21, 2008

I'm so glad I changed my major!

You know, as much as I love messing around with graphic arts, after just 2 weeks of classes, I have no doubt that changing my major to Marketing and Advertising was the right thing for me to do! I'm really enjoying the classes, and many of the topics that we're discussing in my business classes are actually things that I am familiar with because of some of the jobs I have worked at over the years.

I'll be the first to admit that I was a bit shocked when one of my instructors told us that in today's market many people who want to work in Marketing/Advertising usually start out working in sales before they get the chance to get into Marketing/Advertising. But the more I read, listen and learn in my classes, the more it makes sense! Imagine trying to market travel insurance when the main thing you've done over the past several years is cook and clean. If you don't know anything about the type of people who purchase a product, how are you going to design a great marketing strategy that will help sell it? See, I'll bet it's even starting to make sense to you, isn't it?

No comments: