Thursday, June 15, 2006

Family

You know, there is TONS I could say about family, I think that I've been through just about everything that a person could go through with family, and then some. But I read something on someone else's blog this morning that really got me to thinking, and it applies to friends too, because to me, my friends are part of my family also!

One of the things that has always bothered me about family and friends is that it feels like some of them feel that it's up to me to keep in touch with them. For those of my friends from Neo and Blogger, I am NOT talking about you even remotely, you mean the world to me and I understand the reasons why it's hard for you to keep in touch. But there are other "friends" AND my family that are this way.

For instance, my sister. As many of you know, my sister and I have a love/hate relationship. There really isn't a "middle" ground for us, we either love each other or we hate each other. She doesn't call me, or send me personal emails, but she'll sit at work 8 hours a day and send me 5 billion FWD emails. Granted, some of them are very nice and some are very funny. But what's the harm in taking a minute or two to send a note saying "Hi, how ya doin?". I know that I need to be thankful that she at least sends me the FWD's, but it still bothers me. As for phone calls, the only time she calls me is if she needs something. For instance, she called me last Saturday night. Not to say "Hi, I was thinking about you" or even "Hi, how ya doin".....she called to ask if she could stop by and pick up some firewood for her ex husband because he still hasn't found anywhere down here to get any. UGH....it just annoys the crap outta me!

Then there's my mom. Don't get me wrong, I love my mother with all my heart, I love her even more since what we went through after her surgery. I will never again say a cross word to my mother simply because she is pushing 70 and you never know when her last breath will be, and I don't want her looking back on her life and thinking that the last words she heard from me were words of anger. BUT, she has been home recovering from her surgery for a month now and in that month has only called me one time. It's not that I mind calling her, heck, I'm the one with free long distance. But just once I'd like to have her call me just to say "Hi, how ya doin". BUT, on another note with my mom, I called her last night because I was at my wits end with my kids. She and I talked for an hour and a half, and it felt so good to get her thoughts and opinions. I've always held back on calling my mom and talking to her about my problems, simply because she has such a busy life. Prior to her surgery in May she worked 5 days a week, sometimes as many as 10 hours a day, and I just felt like I was adding to the stress in her life by talking to her about what was going on in my life. But last night she let me know that she is there for me to talk to if and when I want to.

Anyway, I guess if there is a point to this post, it is this: Take a second to get ahold of someone and say "Hi, how ya doin?". If you can't call them, email them and if you can't do either of those, I guess revert to the dreaded "snail mail". But just let people know you're thinking about them, because it will mean alot to them!!!

I got an email from a friend a few weeks ago saying "Hey, miss you, hope all is going well" and it made my day!!! Unfortunately, I've been rude and haven't answered back, but I will after I post this!!

**huggles**

No comments: