Monday, December 12, 2005

The next generation...

I like to think of myself as a "thinking" type person. I take things that happen in my life and I look at them, think about them and attempt to learn from them. I have a tendency to analyze things too much sometimes too...LOL.
Yesterday something happened that simply brought me to tears. I'm tearing up right now just thinking about typing about it...LOL. But it's something that I never really thought about, even though I knew it was going to happen.
I got the first phone call Saturday night right after we left the theater from taking the kids to see the latest Harry Potter movie (which I HIGHLY reccomend!!). Hubby's cell rang and it was my mom. She was calling to let me know that my niece's doctor had decided that he was going to admit her in the hospital Sunday morning to induce her labor. Yeah, I'm talking about a new baby...LOL. Granted, I have known for what, 8 months, that this day was coming, but you never seriously think about it until it actually happens.
My niece was the first of her "generation" in my family. My father passed away in December of 1979 and she was born 1 year and 5 days later. It was amazing! Now here we are, 25 years after her birth, and she's going to have her own baby. The hardest thing for me to think about is my brother being a grandfather. Not that I think being a grandparent makes you "old" just that my brother is such a "different" person, it's really hard to picture him in that "role".
SO, last night at 5:47 the phone rang. It was my sister. The news we had all anticipated for months finally came. HE'S HERE!!! The next generation of our family had arrived. I haven't seen him yet (my niece lives quite a ways away), but I hear he's adorable! He's a very nice sized baby, 8 pounds on the nose and 20 inches long. I've also been told he has the hugest eyes they've ever seen and the dimple in his chin that my niece has.
So, this makes my mother a first time Great Grandmother, my brother a first time Grandfather and me and my sister are frist time Great Aunts. It's hard to not sit here and think about how my father would be right now. Would he be a gushing Great Grandfather? And it's kind of weird how things happen in our family.
Let me back up a bit and tell you that my brother, my parents first born, was born on our fathers birthday and the day before my Grandmother's birthday. And as I told you earlier, my niece (my brothers first born) was born 1 year and 5 days after my father passed away. Her baby was due on the day my father passed away, but my niece was hoping to give birth on my mothers birthday, which was just the other day, which she didn't. Now my mother remarried 4 years after my father passed away, and my step fathers birthday is also in December, today as a matter of fact. So, my Great Nephew was born one day before his Great Grandfathers birthday. Just like his Grandfather (my brother) was born one day before his Great Grandmothers birthday. (I sure hope I didn't lose ya...LOL). It's just kind of neat, ya know?
So, I'd like to welcome Landon to the family! Here's to "The Next Generation"!!!
**huggles**
Holly

**EDIT**
HERE HE IS!!!

2 comments:

Leanne said...

Awww... congratulations & welcome to the world, Landon!

Running2Ks said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!