Thursday, December 22, 2005

Christmas MIRACLE!!!

OK, it's time for a bit of humility here, but that's ok, I don't mind.

We live on a very LOW income, most months not even being able to make the bills, so we do alot of juggling! This time of the year is always a bit pressed money wise, but we always seem to manage.

As most of you know, we moved out to the country in August and have just loved being out here! But with all things in life, there was a "catch". We're far enough outside of town that there are not gas mains out here, so our home is heated with bulk LP gas. With gas companies, you can either get on budget or payment plans to save from not having heat in the winter time. But with bulk LP, you don't have that option and when that tank is empty you simply have no heat. Which is what we are getting close to right now. We had almost 300 gallons of LP delivered the week before Thanksgiving which filled our tank to almost 50%. We've been VERY careful since getting the LP! We've kept the thermostat at about 66 degrees and have supplimented with small space heaters. We also put plastic on 95% of the windows, both inside and out. But the gas still gets used quickly because of how drafty of a house this is!

With the gas company that we got our last delivery from, we are a "pre paid" account, meaning that they have to recieve full payment before they will even schedule a delivery. Now, this "technically" isn't a problem except one minor thing. They don't have a local payment center, so we have to rely on the mail to get them the payment then hope and pray that they post the payment quickly, then hope that they're not slammed with deliveries because the average wait time after the delivery is finally scheduled is 7-10 business days. Thus begins our delimma. This month has been even tighter than normal financially meaning that we simply don't have the $400+ to send for their minimum delivery.

We did some calling around the other day and found a local company that has a payment center that's about a 20 minute drive from here, which isn't too bad at all. After hearing what we needed and our "dilemma" the business manager said this....."You know, it's Christmas time, and I"m in the Christmas spirit. On top of that, our company's policy has always been that the customer comes first, so here's what I'm going to do. On Monday our tank guy will be at your house before noon with a tank with approximately 25 gallons of fuel, which will be more than enough to get you through until Tuesday afternoon when our delivery guy comes and fills your tank. That man will then give you an invoice which we will give you 30 days to pay. If your bill is paid in full within 30 days, we will continue to extend the same service to you for as long as you continue to pay it.".
I had tears in my eyes, not sure what to think, ya know? I mean, in this day and age people don't do that. Paying the bill in 30 days rather than in one lump sum will be absolutely no problem at all!!
Anyway, I need to get back to cleaning, I'm almost done then I need to get ready for my evening out with the hubby. Catch ya'll later!
**huggles**

5 comments:

Chickadee said...

It's generosity like that that restores my faith in people around the Christmas holidays. I hope you can rest a little easier now.

http://www.danno.org/blogs

Kat said...

This is an awesome story.
I am a firm believer in people doing good just for the sake of doing good.
I'm so glad that you found someone who genuinely cares for his fellow man and I'm so happy that you have heat for your family this Christmas. I have been where you are and it's no fun at all.

Many special holiday wishes to you and yours.

Oh, and I was doing my TT rounds but this post made me smile and I felt like commenting here. :)
Kat

Magikjaz said...

OMG HOLLY!! *hugs* There are still angels here on earth! I'm so happy for you! This made me cry tears of joy!

Leanne said...

Oh how wonderful!! I've got tears in my eyes too!! Have a very merry - and VERY WARM Christmas!!!

Lazy Daisy said...

I know exacatly what you mean. We also live in the country. We heat primarily with wood (which heats you twice...once while chopping it and then when it burns). We can change over to oil also but who can afford that! Hope you were warm and toasty and I prayed for the person that showed real love and mercy to you and your family.
Lazy Daisy